A huge thank you to Matt Sunderland from the Guildford Tyre Company from Guildford Advanced Motorists and Wey Valley Advanced Motorcyclists, who gave our two groups an overview of modern car and motorcycle tyre technology on Thursday 19th January.
His talk covered:
- The pro’s and con’s of run-flat tyres; while they do what they say on the tin, the added weight impacts handling, fuel economy and noise.
- Premium versus budget brands; you don’t get what you don’t pay for…
- The perils of buying part-worn tyres.
- The benefits of winter tyres; at 7 degrees Celsius and below winter tyres offer considerable benefits compared to summer tyres and in snow they really come into their own.
- The importance of wheel alignment; poor alignment results in excessive wear and poor fuel economy.
The Guildford Tyre Company offer a tyre hotel, storing you summer tyres in the winter and your winter tyres in the summer.
Road safety charity IAM RoadSmart has renewed its calls for car makers and smartphone manufacturers to work with the government to develop a technological solution to distracted drivers – saying that simply hoping that drivers will do the right thing is not enough.
Continue reading “Car and smartphone makers must come up with an answer to hand-held mobile phone dangers, says IAM RoadSmart”
IAM RoadSmart brings you expert advice on driving in snow from its head of driving and riding advice Richard Gladman.
Best advice is to avoid travelling in extreme weather. If no one is moving, you just add to the problem – so listen to travel advice.
If you do have to travel in bad weather, plan your journey thoroughly. Think about where you are going and what it will be like all the way along the journey. If you can, avoid travelling on less-used roads or country lanes as these are less likely to be gritted.
Continue reading “Snowing me, snowing you … there is something we can do!”
Congratulations to Graham on passing his Masters on 7th December.